Tuesday, 26 June 2012

A little venting, some funny and good stuff, and a recipe

I won't lie.
There have been a ton of downs lately, but I won't go into that.
I've fallen back on some old bad habits.
Trying to turn that around.

Working out and lifting definitely help.

I most definitely want to compete again.
However, the expense.....
I have been unable to find part time work to support my "hobby".
I am super lucky to have a great gym membership, so I am able to keep working out.
I have been eating okay.  (That's where some old emotional eating, cocktailing has come into play the past few weeks.)
Fitness is super expensive because of the routine aspect.
To up my routine, I really need to learn tumbling and more strength and flexibility to bring it to a higher level that judges look for.
I am definitely trying to do some on my own.
There is a natural show that I would like to compete in in October.
I do not want to completely commit to it though because I don't know if I can keep up with the cost of nutrition, posing, routine choreography, tumbling, etc.
I guess if it's meant to happen, it will.
On a side note, I have been trying to educate myself more on nutrition for bodybuilding, competition (without doing metabolic damage), and such.  All the information is just so flippin' confusing!

This past competition, I had put a good chunk of money on the side just for this goal.
Of course, I was getting a decent amount of contract work.
I was also performing frequently, and had held a part time job.
Unfortunately, all of that has pretty much dried up.
I know that hubby would be willing to add to my coffers, so to speak.
I think that I'm not willing to ask for his monetary support for that because it is not a "necessity" in my life.  I prefer to pay for my extras myself.
Plus, this is the first time that I have not had any income of my own since I was 13.
Like I said, I'll keep putting myself out there, and if it's meant to happen, it will.

But, instead, let me show you some good things.
No matter what, doggies always make me smile.
We are lucky enough to have two very spastic dogs.
First, I should point out that he was fine.
I was going about my morning rituals, and I kept hearing weird scratching noises coming from the kitchen.  We have a sliding glass door that I leave open when I'm home for the dogs to have free access to the back door.  (Well, I leave it open only in the mornings when we're 100 to 105 degrees!)
I also have a bunch of garden boxes that I have wire edging around.  I put this around one of our compost bins too because a certain pup likes to dig underneath to try and retrieve "tasty" items from it.
Well, someone had decided to try and get his big head through and this is what happened.





He got two pieces loose, but managed to get them tangled and hooked to his collar.
He knew to come to mom to get those crazy things off of him.
Crazy boy.

We also have two ferrets.  We have a large play pen (for critters) that we keep on our lower level, in our office/sewing/craft room.  That's where we hang out in the evenings.  We bring them out to play with us there.  Otherwise, they sleep have another 3 level condo cage in a spare room.  Also, we have to keep them separated because sir up there thinks they are some weird type of squirrel that he wants to chase and eat.  Ferrets sleep - a lot.  We are horrible and take advantage to snap pictures.
This is Ichabod ~ passed out..... from what?




Yes, we're evil and easily amused.

I got a real treat this past week.  A friend from home sent me a goodie package!
Check this out!




Praline & Creme coffee beans!
He owns one of these franchises back home.  Aren't I lucky?!
Two Hubigs pies, these are my weakness.
Since I was a child, I drool over these.
A local entertainment paper with the awesomeness of New Orleans.
I was giddy over this box.

I thought that I'd share this recipe.
It's from Chef Paul Prudhomme's  Fork In The Road cookbook.
This cookbook is his healthy recipes.
Wait, isn't that an oxymoron for him, hahahaha?

This is his recipe for Orleans Shrimp.  I'll put the changes that I made in brackets.  I cut down the recipe to serve 2 and only used 1/2 cup brown rice for each of us.

Seasoing Mix 
[I just used his Magic Meat Seasoning, then added smoked paprika, basil, oregano and thyme] 
1 Tbsp sweet paprika
2 teaspoons dried sweet basil leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne [I added more to taste]

 ~*~
1 pound peeled medium shrimp [used about 10 large shrimp each for us]

1 1/2 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped green bell peppers [omitted this because hubby does not like bell peppers]
1/2 cup chopped celery
3 bay leaves
1 1/2 cups apple juice, in all
[instead of apple juice I used water and splashed in apple cider vinegar]
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
2 cups peeled, diced fresh tomatoes OR a 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
[used grape tomatoes that I had on hand and diced them leaving the peels on]
1/2 cup tomato sauce [used no salt added]
1 cup defatted seafood stock [subbed low sodium organic chicken stock and water]
6 cups cooked long-grain white rice
[we each had 1/2 cup cooked brown rice]

Combine all the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl.

Sprinkle shrimp evenly with 2 teaspoons of the seasoning mix and set aside.

Preheat a heavy 10 inch skillet, preferably nonstick, over high heat to 350, about 4 minutes.

Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, bay leaves, and 3 tablespoons of the seasoning mix.  Stir and cook until the vegetables start to brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.  Add 1 cup of the apple juice and the garlic, and stir to clear the bottom of the skillet of all brown bits.  Cook until the apple juice evaporates completely and the bottom of the skillet dries out, about 12 to 13 minutes. 

Stir the vegetables, spread them out, and cook 2 or 3 minutes until they are a rich-looking brown, to bring out their natural sweetness.  Add the tomatoes and the remaining seasoning mix, scrape the bottom of the skillet completely, and cook 2 minutes.  Stir in the tomato sauce, the stock, and remaining apple juice.  Scrape the bottom of the skillet, bring to a boil, and cook about 7 to 8 minutes.  Add the shrimp and cook just until they start to turn pink and plump, about 4 minutes.  Turn off the heat and serve over the rice.

Here's the nutritional info for the original recipe.  I did not take the time to try and redo the info on my changes.  I'm sure it's less because I did not use apple juice and switched to brown rice and less of it too.

Per 1 cup serving: 468 calories, Protein 26g Fat 3g, Carbohydrates 82g


Now, I have to go outside and do some yard work before the temperatures get up to 103 today!

 

 




2 comments:

Tenecia said...

"I think that I'm not willing to ask for his monetary support for that because it is not a "necessity" in my life." --> I am the exact same way!!!

T.

v8grrl said...

I loooove those pics! I love you.
I too have been in the lump of not moving. the heat.
I am going to turn that around today…I hope.

I hope …send good vibes