Saturday, 21 January 2012

Randomness & Did you Know?

In the past two months, I have had four people tell me that I should write a book. When I inquire on what subject, all reply that either it doesn't matter or something based on my adventures (not necessarily nonfiction, but characters maybe involving some escapades.)..... Interesting. If only I had focus to do it.
I began two novels probably 10 or 15 years ago.  Both were of the smut variety, one modern and one a period piece set in 1830's Louisiana.  I did tons of research of the period and history.  It helped that I lived in Louisiana and had access to so much information.  I even possess letters written from the late 1700's to the mid 1800's.  
I went through many years where I was addicted to historical romance novels... and horror/supernatural.  If both were mixed together, well, I was in heaven!
I did not finish them, obviously.
I began to doubt myself immensely.  It was probably due to my deep insecurities that I had about myself and any ability I may have had.
Also, during my attempt to go back to college, one of my several majors was English.  Oh, I aspired to write entertaining books. 
I did a summer abroad in Madrid studying American Expat Lit and took Spanish because, well, if I was in Spain I might as well learn the language! This was one of the monumental experiences in my life.  I am so glad that I did it.  Also, it was something that I did by myself.  I went in knowing no other person there.  Terrifying, yet so exciting it was.
I even had a stint where I wrote band reviews for a local music site in New Orleans.  Of course, it seems that any gig that I have picked up in an artistic venture has been fun but of no monetary gains, hahaha.  Isn't that the way though?  I sent those articles to actual publications with queries.  I received great feedback and was told to send stories.  Then, somehow, I just lost ideas, inspiration.  The dreaded writer's block.  A brick wall slammed down in my brain.
So, folks have been planting these seeds in my brain.  Right now, they are just seeds.
I have had no light bulbs go off, no immediate ideas, but this may be something to ponder.  Maybe, I'll spend some time free writing or jotting ideas in my journal.
Who knows, right?

1 comment:

Athena said...

Oh how I can relate! Writers block sucks... it's so much harder to be a writer than people realize (even the so-called smut and romance!) But yeah, who knows... it's amazing how those little seeds end up growing into something you'd never expect!