Sunday, 11 September 2011

A Healthier version of Shrimp n "Grits"

We LOVE shrimp n grits.
For breakfast,
for brunch,
for dinner.
Since I've been trying to make things a little healthier, I've been playing with my recipe.
Here's what I've come up with so far.

It made 2 servings and honestly, I only measured a few things because I feel like veggies can't be too much!

I've been using Lundberg Roasted Brown Rice Couscous in place of grits.
I made 2 servings according to the package, omitting the salt and using plain water.
While that cooked, I did the rest.

I use 8oz of raw, deveined shrimp, peeled - 4oz per person.

I used a non-stick pan and sauted (in water)
2 cloves of garlic, diced
1 jalapeno, diced - I leave the seeds in
about 3/4c zucchini, diced
some diced celery
grape tomatoes
fresh baby spinach
red pepper flakes
sprinkle:
cayenne
oregano
bayleaf
thyme
parsely
black pepper


(I use whatever veggies are in the fridge or in the garden, most times I also dice carrots, but didn't have any!)

Then, I usually pour about 1/4c unsweetened vanilla almond milk
This last time, I had some fat free cream cheese in the fridge - I added 2 Tbsp
I did this in place of the 1/2 of cheese I used to split into the sauce and the grits

Then, I threw in the shrimp and stirred until they were cooked.




Then, I just divided the couscous between two bowls,
divided the shrimp
and sauce.

Voila, easy and done and yummy!




I was too lazy to try and add up everything to get a nutritional content.

Heck, it's way healthier than the way we used to make it with butter, olive oil and cheeses!

No comments: