Saturday, 20 August 2011

Little thinking, dabbling with experimenting



I used to be really good about randomly sending out letters and cards to people.
I don't know if it was ever appreciated,
but I do know that I love receiving mail.

I do believe that (though I adore computers and technology for many things)
all of this wonderful technology has sort of robbed us of our human touch.
I never receive phone calls anymore -
only from my mother, husband, godmother and maybe two friends (maybe 3x a year).
I have mailed, emailed, called & left messages, texted, etc to many, very rarely to get more of a response than 'hey'
Yes, I know folks have their own lives, but wow.
I think it's a little sad.

Also, I have been thinking that the computer leads me to more greed and "the wants."
You know, there are so many shopping sites and new wonder products and stories of said wonderful products online.
However, if I was not aware of their existence, well, I probably wouldn't care as much or
get excited by all of the cool things.
I really get hooked in reading and looking at all of the wondrous things.

I become part of that "gimme, gimme" mentality, and I do not like it.
"But to believe that getting stuff is the purpose and aim of life is madness. "
Hubert Selby Jr. (Requiem for a Dream
 
Time flies and there are so many more constructive ways that I could spend my time.
I mean, when I do talk to other people, I do do a ton more around the house than most.
But, I used to read voraciously.
I used to draw, sew, embroider, bike ride...
oh and actually spend face to face time with people
~gasp~



I feel like I should be giving of myself to people. 
Offering something, even if it's extremely simple.
Random cards or letters sent every month.
I want adventures.
I don't know.

I just have been thinking a ton.
I know that I have been doing the shallow stuff,
trying to get myself in shape.

I just think something has been lost along the way.
We've I've lost touch with something.
Society saddens me lately.

Maybe we've I've become too comfortable with all of these conveniences.
I don't want to look back on my life when I'm old and not have anything to reminisce about.
I want to be the interesting old lady with the crazy, fascinating stories.
There's only one way to do that. 
Do it.



"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself: who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?"
Hunter S. Thompson



In fact, I have been dabbling with the idea of taking a psuedo-sabbatical from
all of these wonderful technological networking groups and just the computer in general..
I think that I may tell folks that if they wish to communicate with me that
they will have to call or write.
I was actually given a polaroid camera, nice to have actual photos again.
I'm thinking of getting a 35mm "film" camera too.
I may even spring for an old typewriter.
I will probably still blog, though not that many people read anyway, lol. 
Like I said, it's an idea that I'm dallying with.
Maybe, I'll find it impossible to do.
Maybe, I'll find new things in myself and life that I never thought of.
Maybe, I'll find new adventures.
Maybe, I'll find the good in people again.
Maybe, I'll change my mind on everything.
Maybe, I'll find more interesting things to blog about.
Maybe, I'll just get a penpal.



2 comments:

Queen of the Trailer Park said...

I have been thinking along this very same thread lately and it's nice to know that there are others out there that feel the same way : )

Lapetitemort said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one.

We just went on a Barnes & Noble bargain book extravaganza.... I was a little sad that they didn't have any Hubert Selby, Jr., William S. Burroughs or Hunter S. Thompson... Just like my libraries, what the heck is going on?!

This must be why we are so dependent on Amazon....