Saturday, 13 November 2010

Gettin' Old School

I decided to try making my own bread starter. You know a ball of flour and water that captures yeast from the air? I'm trying this method from the Science of Bread website.

So, here's the well of a 1/4 c unbleached all purpose flour. Then just add a teeny bit of water at a time.

Mix until you get the little springy ball.

Toss it in small bowl or jar and cover with a damp towel and put in warm place.


We'll see how this turns out in a few days! Could be cool, I say.

We've also been planning our layout of more garden boxes. I plan to make diagrams & plans of what will go where over the winter. I tell you, we will have mini vegetable farm in our back yard! We also picked up two little fruit trees from the local home fix it up store on clearance for $2. We figured no harm trying and no big $ loss if they croak!

NEXT: Going to try making my own vinegar!

2 comments:

v8grrl said...

Where did you get the trees? I need some. And I want to know what your plan is for your garden so I can do mine too

Lapetitemort said...

Lowe's had all of their plants and trees reduced to next to nothing.

Sam's building more boxes for me, and we're trying to plan a pattern to put them in the back yard as he builds them. I did rake leaves and start filling them with leaves for winter. We're going to pull out the old Square Foot Gardening book and plan it out for next year.