Tuesday, 27 July 2010

Bitchcakes 'n Pancakes

Inspired by BitchCakes new post, I felt like cooking healthy. For some reason, her Vegan Pumpkin Pancakes were sticking in my brain. I was really craving something like that. So, I rummaged through my kitchen to see if I could replicate it and make substitutions. Since I didn't have pancake batter, I looked up the Organic High Fiber Pancake Mix on Bob's Redmill site and checked out the ingredients. Hmmm, seems like I have things that may be able to replicate that.

Here's what I did:

¼ cup Bob’s flax meal

¼ cup + 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour

¼ cup + 2 Tbsp unbleached all purpose flour

¼ cup old fashioned oats

1 tsp baking powder

¼ tsp each allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon

2 tsp organic cane sugar

4 oz unsweetened applesauce

½ of a 15 oz can of plain pumpkin

¼ almond milk

¼ water


Combine dry ingredients, then add in the wet ingredients. Mix and measure out into the pan. I used a 1/4 cup scoop to make each pancake.

The messiness of the test kitchen. I had my laptop so that I could record what I did and the measurements that I used.

In the pan. For some reason, I only made three. What the heck was I thinking not making four?

On the table with a little raw agave nectar.


Like she says, it makes about three cups, three servings. I popped it in the fridge for breakfast tomorrow morning. I do think, though, that I'll add a little more water to the batter. All in all, they came out pretty darn good. And now I have instant breakfast for the next few days, just scoop and cook!



No comments: