Tuesday, 22 December 2009

In preparation

I have decided to try and go through with it, not buy any new clothes next year. This will be exempt from school scrubs (we haven't done that yet) and under thingies. So, I was mending torn seams and holes today in some pieces of clothing. Preparing myself, you see, for what will come in the next year. I also pulled out a skirt that I have not worn in a year. I have to play with new ways to wear these things in my closet. It should be an interesting experiment. I know that I own more than enough clothes that I should not want for things to wear. I'll try to remember to snap pictures of my outfits too. At school, it won't be too hard. There is a full length mirror in our health occupations restroom. I just never use that one because there is only 1 potty, so I trapse all the way around the building to a bathroom with more stalls and no line.

On a side note, I've been trying to use up stuff in my fridge before it wilts in order to not be so wasteful. Yesterday, I sliced up a peach, seared it and put it on top of baby spinach, some shaved aged parmesean and aged white cheddar and all wrapped up in a multi-grain (no sugar) tortilla. May I just say YUM! It's a mad lab kitchen. I am trying to re-invent leftovers too everyday, waste not ya know.

So, just a teeny update.

5 comments:

v8grrl said...

you can make stuff!!!

Lapetitemort said...

I have great patterns too!
I am always on the lookout for patterns from the 30s too, or anything old. I'm a thrift store rover looking for fun vintage kitchen stuffs and material and patterns. =)

Kristen said...

I've been tossing around the idea of doing the same thing - taking the wardrobe refashion pledge to keep myself accountable, and not buy anything new for the year. Good luck with it! :)

Gingerella said...

I envy your ability to sew. I'd love to learn but don't really have anyone that could teach me, and what sewing classes are given around here are done so with the assumption that the student already has a machine and knows at least the basics. I don't even know how to thread a needle, lol.

I think your year of buying no clothes will be an interesting experiment for you!

Lapetitemort said...

Kristen,
I would love to have others take part and let me know how they are doing!

Gingerella,
I was super lucky in that my mom sewed so as a youngster I spent lots of time in her sewing room. Then, I took a home-ec class my senior year of high school and learned how to read patterns. Hopefully, you'll get a chance to dabble. Go ahead and grab a needle & thread and play!