Saturday, 3 October 2009

Do we really need it all?

I have been reading a bunch of blogs. This one by 50's Times really got me thinking today. We have been scaling back bunches. Some things I have not missed in the slightest, like a microwave. We have not had one of those in probably five years. Other things I miss sometimes, for instance, a dishwasher. Every place we have lived has had one, but they rarely ever work. I even have been debating replacing our broken one with more cabinet space. I grapple with this one because it is a luxury that I think I would enjoy, as would my dishpan hands. =)

We rarely buy boxed and pre-made food. I enjoy preparing things from scratch. We have become accustomed to the tastes too. For some reason, many other boxed or pre-made food items that we used to enjoy just don't taste the same anymore. That is not to say that I do not buy some things from time to time. Convenience items are spectacular when we have had a long day and there is still studying, animal care and house chores to be done.

I keep thinking of more and more that we could completely do without. We got rid of our land line because no one but solicitors called it. I very rarely even use my cell phone, but it is good to have when walking, biking or travelling. We cut back to absolute basic cable. We could probably even do without that as we only just got cable three years ago. Goodness knows that we own enough movies and dvds to entertain us. Plus, we enjoy playing board games and cards though we rarely have the free time right now.

There is always so much to learn!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I adore that 50s blog! I love the idea of living simpler, too. It's hard with all the modern conveniences when they are right in front of you. My current house is the first time I've had a dishwasher in 10 years, and I couldn't live without it :)

weenie_elise said...

Hi!
Just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger award :)
Link

Lapetitemort said...

Well, oh my! Thank you very much!!
=)

lpm