Tuesday, 18 August 2009

Victory Garden =)



Every year I do a hodge-podge veggie garden. Basically it's a big mess of whatever decides to grow from seeds that I throw out there, and whatever has decided to volunteer from the compost. Sam and I were talking this weekend. It seems the fruit in the stores goes bad so quickly. The strawberries and grapes we buy have mold within a few days. Boo. We are going to do some extra planning for next year. We are looking at different fruit trees, berry bushes, and other varieties of plants to see what may suit our tastes, environment and space.

Plus, I am going to do some indoor gardening again this winter. We are going to research and see about building a greenhouse or other structure for winter months too. I think that our back yard will eventually be a mini-farm. =) Popping out my "Square Foot Gardening Book" and "Victory Garden" books too. Though old, these books have great guidelines for large output in small spaces. Yeah, just another project to add to the lists, lol.

1 comment:

The Glamorous Housewife said...

My 'victory' garden was more of a slaughter then a victory. I am not so 'glamorous' at gardening. But I am glad you hear yours went well.

As for produce, here are some tips:

First of all, put your fruit in the fridge if you are not going to eat it right away. As for strawberries, I cut them up and then sprinkle a little bit of sugar on them and they last for about 3-4 days in the fridge that way. I eat them with yogurt, cottage cheese, or on toast.

Also, you can always freeze fruit that is about to go bad but you dont want to eat. I use this fruit in fruit smoothies.

Thanks doll,
The Glamorous Housewife