Saturday, 8 August 2009

Glorious B-Movies!



When I was a young kidling, I remember vividly Sundays. We would go to church early in the morning. Once we got home, my mom was in the kitchen cooking a big meal. My dad and I would plop down on the sofa to watch the Sunday Creature Features. It was in the afternoons on Sunday, on some non-cable station. All of those wonderful old movies came on. Hammer films from the late 50's, early 60s, the old black and white monster movie greats. Wolfman, Frankenstein, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dracula and so on. I think this is where my obsession with horror began. I remember seeing "Salem's Lot" and going to bed that night with a blanket wrapped around my neck and the covers pulled over my head. I did not want to see if a young vampire came knocking at my window! There was this movie about Lizzy Borden, but about a modern Lizzy. I cannot for the life of me remember the title. It was from the 70s, and I still can replay the image of her axing some man to death.
After the fear became something that I craved. It became an adrenaline rush. I used to stay up late to sneak and watch the Midnight Monster movie before the national anthem came on the television went to fuzz.
More than anything, I still adore those classics. My obsession became more with the B-movies, crazy, low budget, sometimes silly, campy. I love them all!!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I love B movie horror flicks. Sometimes for the greatness of the film, sometimes because it's funny :) Thanks for the great post today!