Friday, 10 July 2009

Dinner


I made this last night. It's from Clean Eating Magazine. Sam wouldn't try it, but I thought it was tasty. I found the "cakes" a little hard to form and make pretty before getting them in the pan. I kind of plopped them in and formed them in the pan. I wound up adding a little splash of real oil in the pan to make them get crisp/stay together. Not so healthy. I think it would be great in a casserole dish and baked too. Oh, I didn't have any cilantro so I used parsley and a
little corriander.

When I went into my garden to gather some spinach and radishes and peas, I came across a visitor. It was just a large garden snake, but it had me doing a hop and going, "Snake, snake, snake!" Haha. I also made some simmered radishes with thyme. That recipe was on All Recipes. It did not taste bad, but I think my radishes had gotten a little big and should have simmered a little longer.

It makes 4 servings of everything. You'll have 2 cakes extra though!

Lentil Brown Rice Cakes
Cakes & Cilantro Cream

  • 1 cup green lentils
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 cup onion, chopped finely
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice
  • 3 egg whites, whisked
  • 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour
  • 1/4 tsp Cajun Seasoning
  • Olive oil cooking spray
  • 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
  • 2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
  • juice 1/2 lime
  • sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
One:
Put lentils, garlic, oregano and onion into a medium saucepan. Cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 4 minutes, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Check during simmering, stirring occasionally; if water has reduced too much, add about 1/2 cup more. (While you want the lentils to absorb the water during cooking, you do not want to let the water reduce so much that the bottom of the lentils will burn.)
Two:
When lentils are finished cooking, let cool for at least 10 minutes.
Three:
In a large bowl, mix together rice, lentil mixture, egg whites, flour and seasoning. Using your hands, form mixture into 10 patties, about the size of a small burger or approximately 4 inches in diameter. Set aside patties.
Four:
Preheat nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Mist with cooking spray. Place patties, about 4 at a time, in skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until slightly browned.
Five:
In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, salt and black pepper. Serve 2 patties with 2 tbsp yogurt sauce spooned over top.

Salad & Creamy Avocado Dressing
  • 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 1 avocado, cut in half, pit and skin removed and divided
  • 3/4 cup yellow onion, finely diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cored and finely diced
  • 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded, cored and finely diced (about 2 tbsp jalapeno)
  • 1/4 cup carrots, finely diced
  • 1 15oz can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tbsp plus 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro, finely chopped, divided
  • 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
  • zest 1 lime
  • juice 1/2 lime
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar ( I think this was a little too much for my taste)
  • 1 tbsp honey (I used agave nectar)
  • 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
One:
Mix lettuce, finely diced 1/2 avocado, Onion, red pepper, jalapeno, carrots, beans, and 2 tbsp cilantro.
Two:
In a food processor add remaining 1/2 avocado, remaining 1/2 cup cilantro, yogurt, lime zest and juice, vinegar, honey and Dijon. Pulse for about 1 minute until finely blended.
(I don't have food processor, I just mixed by hand with a whisk)

You know what to do with dressing and salad...

No comments: