Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Day Dreaming

Solita Solano and Djuna Barnes in Paris, 1922, http://www.delicatessen.org/paris.html

Ever since I did a summer semester in Madrid, oh six years ago, I have had daydreams. I took Spanish, Expatriate Literature and some other class that does not stick in my brain really well. The Expat Lit class, ah. Studies of the drunken days, debauchery and scandal of the times of Hemingway, Gertrude Stein, Djuna Barnes, James Baldwin, Richard Wright. Readings were a time machine to the past. But sitting there, sipping vermouth, beer, wine outside, talking of literature, culture, we were transported and became a little piece of them.

Perhaps that is why I got involved in burlesque. It is a tiny chance to live a little scandalously, and travel back in time a few times a month. I can be whoever I wish.

No comments: