Tuesday, 14 October 2008

Vegan Veggie Potpie

That's what I'm making right now. I have the bottom crust in the oven right now. It smells really good so far. I stuck the top in the freezer for the moment. I basically took

2 cups +\- all purpose organic unbleached flour
mixed in about a teaspoon and a half of each thyme, basil and dry mustard powder and a dash of salt and pepper
2/3 cup oil ( I mixed olive oil and canola, about 1/2 & 1/2)
just a tad of water

mixed it all up, cut it in half for a top and bottom

filling

I took about a quarter of a pack of soft organic tofu and about a tablespoon of spicy brown mustard and some water and blended it until it was about like ricotta cheese.
I mixed that with a combo of chopped green zucchini, mushrooms, onions, garlic, corn and a teeny bit of jalapeno.
Then sprinkled in some salt, pepper, cajun spice, dry mustard and mixed.

I tasted it raw and it was good.

I plan on putting in the bottom crust then covering with more dough and baking it some more.

It's made a decent size pan so I'll get a few meals out of it! Plus, it's chilly and I felt the need to bake some warm comfort food. =)

edited:
Definitely needs more filling. Though it filled up a bowl before hand, it shrunk inside of the two layers of crust. I think using the whole pack of tofu and addign more of everything would make it killer. I may make more filling tomorrow, cook it separately and just mix it in with my bowl of goodness as I eat it. On the bright side, the crusts were definitely rich and pastry like.

No comments: